University of ReadingSt. Joseph’s College
Reading is at the heart of an attractive area of the Thames Valley, surrounded by numerous small towns and villages, many of great age and beauty. It is situated less than 70 kms from London with excellent transport links to the capital and the Oracle Shopping Centre which has all the high street shops that you would find in London – but without the crowds! From its rich trade in cloth in the 16th century to its importance as a manufacturing centre in the19th century, Reading is now known for its expertise in the technology, finance, legal and insurance industries.
10 July 2017 - 24 July 2017
• Premium single ensuite room
• Internet access - £3.50 per student
• Breakfast / lunch / dinner
• Packed lunch with excursions
• Laundry facilities - £2.50 for a wash/£2.00 for a dryer
Distances from campus:
INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS (BY COACH): Heathrow: 45 min. Gatwick: 1h. 15 min.
BY TRAIN: London: 40 min.
BY BUS: Oxford: 1h. Bath: 1h. 30 min.
The English Course
Our enthusiastic academic team wants students to enjoy learning English, so lessons will include fun and stimulating activities, and teachers will be working a lot on the speaking and listening skills. This will help to build your confidence and improve your fluency.
• There are 2 lessons in the morning from Monday to Friday (1 x 1 hour 45 mins and 1 x 1 hour 30 mins)
• There are 2 lessons on Friday afternoon (2 x 1 hour 30 mins)
• There is a break of 30 minutes between each of the 2 lessons
• The placement test is part of a 4 hour morning session that includes a 1 hour first lesson
• Total of 18 hours of lessons per week
• Placement test 08:30 - 10:30/BREAK/11:00 - 13:00
• Mornings 09:15 - 11:00/BREAK/11:30 - 13:00
• Afternoons 14:30 - 16:00/BREAK/16:30 - 18:00
The course is based on the Trinity College London GESE (Graded Examinations in Spoken English) syllabus and the students have the option to sit the exam at the end of their 14 day stay. The exam is a one-to-one, face-to-face oral interview between the candidate and an examiner:
• 12 grades from absolute beginner (Grade 1) to full mastery (Grade 12)
• Levels A1 to C2 of the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference)
Summary of English Course per week:
• 18 hours of tuition with CELTA (or equivalent) qualified teachers
• 1 teacher per 16 students maximum in class
• Didactic material included
• Certificate of Attendance
• Optional examination Trinity College London (GESE) at a cost of £50.00 (There must be a minimum number of 15 students to activate an examination session)
• Comfortable, well-equipped classrooms
Sport, Performing Arts and Leisure Activities
After lunch, the students have the opportunity to participate in a wide range of afternoon activities. For those who enjoy sport, we offer volleyball, football, tennis and basketball. Students who enjoy the performing arts can take part in singing, dance and drama lessons and at the end of the course participate in the talent show.
• Each afternoon session is 3 hours (2 x 1.5 hours)
• The students sign up for the activity they are interested in
• They can change activity every day or continue with the same activity for their whole stay
After dinner in the first part of the evening, the students can participate in the Open Session, which offers the opportunity to take part in an extra hour of Sport or Performing Arts before the main evening activity. In the second part of the evening, Magnifico organises games, quizzes, competitions and discos.
Welfare and Safety
The welfare and safety of the students is our Number One priority. All our staff receive training regarding the care of students under the age of 18. All our staff are also checked for their suitability to work with students under the age of 18.
All students have access to a group leader and if a student arrives without a group leader, a member of Magnifico staff will be assigned to him or her.
Each student is given a Student Handbook containing the rules and regulations of the campus and safety information and an orientation session when they arrive.
Magnifico offers a full programme to all its students. They must take part in all aspects of the programme. There is no unaccompanied free time.
The Centre Manager will be the students’ main contact in all matters regarding their stay with Magnifico.
Each student will be asked for a deposit of £50.00. This is for any damage caused during their stay. Lost keys or key cards must be paid for separately (£50.00).
• Local security staff 24 hours a day
• Local security staff campus night patrols all night
• Magnifico staff accommodation night patrols from 23:00-01:00
• 1 teacher per 16 students
• 1 member of activity staff per 15 students
• Doctor on call and on campus
There are two full day excursions per week to selected towns of cultural interest and they are included in the price. For one of these excursions, Magnifico will pay for the entrance to a tourist attraction. For the other excursion, the entrance fee for any tourist attraction must be paid for by the student. The excursions take place on Saturdays and Sundays.
Other excursions can be arranged at the discretion of the company and the cost per participant will be quoted separately.
Magnifico reserves the right to change the excursion programme. This may be at the request of the client or because of cicumstances that are beyond our control.
• London x 2
• Hever Castle and Tunbridge Wells
The programme may vary due to operational reasons and Magnifico reserves the right to change any part of the programme as necessary.
Course for Group Leaders
Following the success of previous seasons, Magnifico is offering a new introductory course for Group Leaders, who are English teachers, which focuses on practical ideas for the classroom to help stimulate student interest and motivation.
The fee includes:
• Airport assistance at LHR(Heathrow) and LGW(Gatwick) airports (on the above arrival and departure dates only)
• Magnifico Travel Office in London - available 24 hours a day
• Accommodation in single bedrooms
• Full-board accommodation with breakfast, lunch and dinner
• Language course, 18 hours of lessons per week, in groups of 16 students maximum
• 2 full day excursions per week
• 1 paid entrance per week
• CELTA (or equivalent) qualified teachers
• Activity Staff for Sport, Performing Arts and Leisure Activities
• Didactic material
• Doctor on call and on campus
• Certificate of attendance
The fee does not includes:
• Airport taxes
• Transfers to and from airports
• Enrolment fee for individual students £50.00
• Trinity College London GESE exam fee £50.00
• Extra meals
• Drinks (outside mealtimes)
• All extras in general
• Non specified activities
• Anything not included under ’The Fee Includes’.
University of Reading